Thursday, February 07, 2008

Let the sewing begin!

Not only is there knitting and crocheting been going on here at the Casa, but there has been some behind the scenes sewing as well.

When the Princess was a little Princess, I made lots of sundresses for her. And let's not forget all the Halloween costumes I made, too. I knew there was going to be a lot more sewing in the future for the baby Princess. So, with Sarah's enabling advice, I bought a new-to-me serger.

Serger


Isn't she just beautiful? $150 for a beautifully kept Bernina serger that retailed back in the day for around $800 or so. She needed a bit of cleanup and some oil, but is running like new. Like the cat in the background? We have to let him sleep there or he will drive us nuts with trying to be close.

Sarah was kind enough to have the Princess and I over on Saturday morning for some lessons. You know, so I wouldn't serge my fingers together. We made this fabulous bag. Ok, Sarah made it and I watched.

Sarah's bag


And Sarah shoved all kinds of fabric goodies in my bag without me looking. The blue polka dots are for a little bag to hold my sock knitting. Now I have to remember how to sew it up.

fabric stash


I've really missed her since she defected moved to Scottsdale and it was so nice to finally spend some time together.

Armed with her great lessons and a bit of confidence, I finally finished this little dress that was taking forever on my regular machine. The finishing of hems when you have only a sewing machine is a real PIA and makes everything take 2 - 3 times as long. Not good when you are trying to whip out several outfits on my limited time. The little diaper cover took 15 minutes to cut, sew and finish. And that was including the elastic.

first baby outfit


Not too bad, huh? Yes, there are pins where the button holes should be. I just bought an attachement for my machine and I'm trying to get the guts to do it. I've had my sewing machine for 16 years and never did buttonholes! My plan is to find fabric on sale (or in your friend's stash - heh!) and make up several sets of these on the cheap. Plus, it's fun! The Princess really loves these and is so excited about me making all the baby clothes. I have fabric for 5 variations of this outfit, then we are moving onto fall/winter clothes. She is dying for me to make this cheetah print vest for the baby that she saw in a pattern book. She is in Florida this week and doesn't know I'll be making it while she is gone.

Back to the baby apparel factory for me!

Posted by Heather at 5:05 PM

5 Comments

  1. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 5:47 PM  
    Looks good!

    I am glad you have been using the serger!!!

    On to button holes.
  2. Blogger TrueEpicure posted at 5:52 PM  
    Uh, *all* the clothes? I think this is a perfect opportunity to teach the Princess how to sew! :D
  3. Blogger Creative Genius? posted at 7:24 AM  
    Hurray!!! Those look great! I have some goodies in the works for the Mini-Princess too!!! So be on the look-out!

    Hey we want some fun belly pictures!!! Of the princess silly.... not of you :-) LOL
  4. Blogger Jody posted at 8:34 PM  
    I share the feeling...I am looking for a sewing machine now that my Creative Genius has given me the bug. I used to make some of my children's clothing. I see that you are getting into the GRANDMA mode already...it's so much fun!! PS - will keep in mind your offer of advice re: Alaska, as the time nears.
  5. Blogger Jennifer posted at 8:01 PM  
    Ooo, a serger! You'll have lots of fun with that.

Post a Comment

« Home